One of the most powerful ways to communicate is by using YouTube videos embedded into blog posts. The process is simple. Record the video. Upload it to YouTube. Copy the YouTube video URL into the wordpress blog post (without a hyperlink). The result is a YouTube video embedded into your blog post.
- Be the first, newest, oldest, biggest, smallest, etc. and explain why this is important.
- Introduce something new or improved and focus on key benefits or problems it solves.
- Announce anniversaries and stage a special event to celebrate.
- Announce a new member of your team and how they will change the way you do business.
- Win an award. Of course, you have to find them and apply, but third-party recognition are great tools.
- Announce a new major client – the bigger the better. Another third-party endorsement.
- Offer to be an expert on a specific topic or event. Journalists always need quotes from experts. Help them out and they’ll put you in an article.
- 6 Easy Twitter Hacks for Schmoozing Journalists (hubspot.com)
To invite journalists to cover a story, I send a “media advisory” and then either pitch (call and talk) to the station assignment desks or the producers depending on the story, lead time and topic. Our goal is to help our clients get their message out. We do so by making our focus to help the news departments inform the public of important topics and trends. So, if the news people don’t view our client’s story as newsworthy, we trust their judgement, adjust and try again later.
It is common for non-PR people to not have a clue how a publicist can improve your business’s bottom-line. Even when they intuitively know that getting mentioned in news reports (ie: magazines, newspapers, popular blogs and television) has much higher credibility and impact, it’s often difficult to imagine anything you or your company is doing is news worthy. We get it. But keep an open mind and take a look at you from our perspective for a moment…
Modern Publicity defines public communications using four distinct segments (ADDD):
- Awareness (if no one knows you exist, they can’t buy/hire you)
- Differentiation (if you’re like everyone else, there’s no reason to buy/hire you)
- Decision (if you don’t give people a specific, timely reason to hire/buy, they typically delay the decision)
- Delivery (if you don’t deliver what you promise (your brand), you won’t keep old customers or acquire new ones).
Given this, publicity is a powerful communication tactic to do one or more specific ADDD goals. The results must be measurable. This doesn’t simply mean you see more news about yourself and your business, it means we work with you to ensure you see bottom-line results such as more customers coming through the doors, more referrals and more sales. But the question is begged; even if you know a publicist can raise awareness, distinguish you from you competitors and give shoppers or prospects a reason to buy today, what is it that a publicist can do about it?
Putting aside the tactic of self-publicity (social networking), I’ve begun a list of things we quiz you about in order to reveal a newsworthy ‘hook.’ An important value we bring to the table is understanding how difficult it is to get into the news cycle and what reporters are looking for in order to cover you. Sometimes we create a news event, such as a press conference, an award or a special event, or we’ll define your product or service in relationship to an existing newsworthy trend or event. To see specific examples of our work, you’re invited to visit our newsroom. But here are some things that we use to generate interest and mostly links to Google searches for ‘news’ using the term:
- Grand opening
- New product
- New service
- New staff
- New idea
- New partnership
- New study (that relates to your business)
- New song (for recording artists)
- New book (for authors or that relates to your business)
- New video
- New law (proposed or actual that relates to your business)
- New controversy
- New invention (it doesn’t have to be yours)
- To Be Continued…
Here’s the truth: you don’t need to know how a publicist can improve your business. What you need to know is a good publicist. Let US describe what you have that is newsworthy and then get you covered and integrate into a comprehensive marketing communications campaign. That’s our job.